Welcome to Idlewild church of Christ!
When you visit, you may expect to be treated as an honored and respected guest. We are simply a group of Christians, without denominational names and practices, who want only to serve our Lord to the best of our abilities. We have no human creeds to set forth doctrine because the Bible contains all the Christian is to believe ( 2 Timothy 3:16-17 ). In keeping with our effort to carefully follow the Bible, our worship consists only of those activities authorized by command or example in the New Testament.
We have no special services, nor do we esteem one Lord's day over another - they are all highly regarded! On each Lord’s day, i.e., each Sunday, the first day of the week:
- We celebrate His life and sacrifice each Lord's Day in the partaking of the Lord's supper, the breaking of unleavened bread and drinking of the fruit of the vine, which the Lord has given us commandment to do every Lord's Day! (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 11:23-29)
- We praise God and edify one another through singing (Colossians 3:16), and offer prayers of supplication and thanksgiving (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- Through sermons, we encourage and exhort one another to “continue steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine” (Acts 2:42)
- On Sunday only, we take up a collection from members of our congregation so members can give as they have purposed in their hearts (1 Corinthians 16:1-2; 2 Corinthians 9:7). As a visitor, you are our guest, so please do not feel any obligation to give.
- We believe the purpose of this church is spiritual in nature and focused on worshipping God. So, two principles govern all we do:
- “Let all things be done for edification” (1 Corinthians 14:25)
- “Let all things be done decently and in order (1 Corinthians 14:40)
- In addition to our worship services, we have Bible classes on Sunday morning and Wednesday evening for all ages. These classes offer us an opportunity to study God’s Word.